Communication is the act of conveying intended meanings from one entity or group to another through the use of mutually understood signs and semiotic rules.
The main steps inherent to all communication are:
- The forming of communicative motivationor reason.
- Message encoding
- Transmissionof the encoded message
- Noise sources such as natural forces
- Receptionof signals and reassembling of the encoded message f
- Decodingof the reassembled encoded message.
- Interpretationand making sense of the presumed original message.
The scientific study of communication can be divided into:
- Information theorywhich studies the quantification, storage, and communication of information in general;
- Communication studieswhich concerns human communication;
- Biosemioticswhich examines communication in and between living organisms in general.
Human communication is unique for its extensive use of abstract language. Development of civilization are fundamentally linked with communication.